About Me

My photo
The world is such a big dimension for a little fellow like me. A girl who's happiness happens to be just an acceptable member of such an immense cycle of life. Adventure is the best thing she could think of; but what's funny about her is that she's afraid of heights! Although, she tries her best to excel in everything she does. A simple girl with a big heart. Well, what could I say? That's me!!!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

All about EDITORIAL

Editorial is one of the strongest attacks a good newspaper has. It is simply because in editorial the writer has to be deadly serious. Political issues is probably is the most entertained subject in editorial writing. Caricature presents a mock opinion of the writer towards motions, decisions, plans, bills and everything that is in a need of scrutiny. I like reading editorials but I don’t consider it significant.
         
I think some students may agree with me when I say some not so friendly statements about editorial. Mostly, entertainments sections are read because it entertained the readers by spreading gossips about a certain celebrity or public figure. May it be true or not, I think the readers don’t mind as long as they enjoy what they are reading. But reading or even throwing a comprehensive look on the editorial section is quite questionable. I admit that editorial is not that entertaining for me before. As a mass communication student, I should be aware about the latest events and happenings of the society not only on local areas but on other nations as well. And reading different sections of the newspaper may help me. But for me editorial is just an opinion without any strong ground root.

 The idea of discussing about editorial writing, or even all facts about editorial didn’t ever cross my mind. Or let’s just say; I didn’t research well about the subject matter though. I thought that the subject Mass Communication 16 with the course description feature writing will generally focus its limelight on the whereabouts of features writing techniques, features writing articles and more. And well, I think all my presumptions were all wrong. Editorial being subcategorized under feature writing is one of the most important articles to be read in a newspaper. Not only, it is written by only acclaimed experience and seasoned writers but also it presents an urge of persuasion towards the readers without any pressures. An editorial doesn’t stand a single opinion or point of view. It blankets the whole perception on the people behind the production of the newspaper. Thus, it is balanced. I thought that writing editorial is easy like reading the first letter of the alphabet but throughout the discussion the idea lingering in my mind was proved wrong. Writing an editorial is quite crucial because one have to consider many factors such as relevance of the topic, ability of the writer to forward opinions, the limitations on the usage of emotions, the utilization of persuasive language, facts should be straightly forwarded and all these things should be not boring but entertaining. 

Writing editorial in newspapers requires skills in order to forward it justly. Writers should criticize and strikes the situations, problem or issued and not a specific person. I think this is the thin line where some journalists are being accused of libel. It is because editorials exist not to efficaciously force the readers to believe the presented opinion but to forward ideas and let them do the digesting. Like the feature story, the editorial should have catchy title, attractive lead, organized body and the conclusion that editorial should be carefully and wonderfully written. After the thorough discussion, I was challenged. I want to write an editorial someday. I know it will require tons of efforts and liters of sweats but if call for it, why not? After all being an editorial writer is a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment